Wednesday, October 17, 2012

$ and time when to draw the line:

Money- when to draw the line? In my efforts to learn as much as I can in my first year as a Kindergarten teacher- I'm trying to do a lot of reading both blogs and published pieces. I came across a great tool that I would love to have and use for reading and writing- but it's just too expensive for me to buy on my own. I would love to buy it, but I know as soon as my husband found out, he would kill me. I'm already spending my own money for books for large group lessons, more books for our classroom library, storage and organizing tubs/baskets, and more- I have no problem buying items for my classroom, but he just doesn't understand- why is school so expensive? Our two girls bring home notes asking if parents would like to donate items for the fall party- well, one child's classroom is filled with treats, and yes, we are bringing something. The other child's list had 2 items filled- and yes we are bringing to that party- maybe now more than the juice we signed up for. Add items for my class' fall party and I bet I'm spending close to $40 if not more- Why am I always the parent that donates to our girls' classroom? Because I know what it's like to not have things for the classroom- I guess that comes with the territory of being a parent and teacher.
Time- I wish I  had more in the day for both school and family. I'm getting ready to teach a round of after school which means I'm giving 2 hours of my family time up, but it's to spend with students that could benefit from a small intensive group to help them learn both letters and numbers. I don't mind teaching the after school program- I'm at work until 4:15-4:30 anyway each day. Today I talked to a parent that I think would be a great addition to our school PTO. I told her I'd let her know when the next meeting is, and if she wants I would go to the meeting with her. That means I would be giving up an hour of my family time, but I'm also on the school PTO where my children attend-

So- as parents and teachers--- where do we draw the line? I want what's best for my own children and also my students- but at what cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment